Hi John,

My name is Kevin Robinson, and I am the Director of the office that
administers the NRTL Program for OSHA.  While this response is not an
"official" response from OSHA (as I am sending it from my personal
account), I would say the same thing if you were to contact me at work (
robinson.ke...@dol.gov).

Before I answer your question, I would like to help set the stage a bit.
The NRTL Program was created by OSHA and for OSHA.  OSHA NRTL Approval
requirements while adopted by many state and local AHJs do not officially
travel down to that level.  Whether an AHJ would accept a certification is
really up to that AHJ.  Additionally, only certain types of equipment (
http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/prodcatg.html) are required by OSHA
regulations to be "acceptable" (certified by an  NRTL).  You will notice
that engine driven arc welders do not appear on the list of products
requiring NRTL approval, therefore, NRTL approval is not required to
satisfy OSHA (but your local AHJ may require some independent
certification).

With that said, any organization recognized by OSHA as an NRTL can
evaluate, test and certify equipment that is not on their NRTL scope and
issue a certification, however, if the standard is not in their NRTL scope
of recognition (http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html) then they
may not represent themselves as an NRTL (either in the quotation,
contracts, but most importantly, on the certification mark that they
authorize you to apply to your product.  If an organization recognized by
OSHA as an NRTL were to test and certify a product outside their NRTL scope
that would be fine.  An AHJ may accept that certification, but the
certification would NOT be acceptable to OSHA (assuming NRTL certification
was even required).

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Kevin Robinson
202-693-1911
robinson.ke...@dol.gov