Hello "The Other Brian",

  Pre-Amp:  We've used a Mini-Circuits
ZKL-2+<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwij3dnl6sXLAhVR4WMKHXL7C-QQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.minicircuits.com%2Fpdfs%2FZKL-2.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGl3FSSj1X6SvEJWfHXfTBrKpNp8A>
 Medium Power Amplifier(Gain 33.5 dB typ., low noise 4 dBm typ.) with a log
periodic antenna in our Space Saver Anechoic for a number of years with good
success. The amplifier is installed in a metal bud box with a Plug-Plug "N"
connector<http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cinch-Connectivity-Solutions/ADT-2694-MF-NNN-02/?qs=kRS0rR9cfpWwV6ysPrE6lw%3d%3d>,
 good to 18GHz, on one end (for Antenna) of the box and a Jack-Jack "N"
connector<http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/amphenol-rf-division/172124/ACX1170-ND/1011847>,
 good to 11GHz, (for cable to Analyzer) on the other side. There are two female
SMA panel mount connectors on the female "N" connector end of the box. One SMA
is the sense while the other SMA is for the DC supply.

  Bias-Tee:  As for bringing power into the chamber, or screen room, on the
main cable. I'm doing that for near field measurements in an RF screen room and
it has helped with reducing background noise by at least 5 dB between
1GHz-7GHz. We use two Picosecond Model 5547 Bias
Tees<http://www.tek.com/datasheet/bias-tees/pspl5547-datasheet>, 5kHz-15GHz,
for bringing in 12vdc for a couple of Mini-Circuits
ZX60-6013E-S+<http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/ZX60-6013E+.pdf>. The ZX60's
have a frequency range of 20MHz to 6GHz, gain from 16.2-12.1 dB over the same
frequency range, low noise figure 3.3 dB typ. By keeping the unshielded wire
sections for the DC power to a minimum, or no unshielded sections at all, will
help.
  Update:  I see that Tektronix purchased Picosecond in 2014, didn't know that.

  Images of the "Pre-Amp" box can be emailed if you like. I believe the
Bias-Tee method was recommended by Ed Price a number of years ago when I asked
about a solution. By the way, thank you Ed.

Best Regards,
Bob

Bob Casiano | 208-863-1439 | bcasi...@micron.com<mailto:bcasi...@micron.com> /
bcasi...@gmail.com<mailto:bcasi...@gmail.com> | Micron Technology, Inc.
Engineer - EMC/IO
Desk: 208-368-4892
Cell: 208-863-1439
QRA Engineering Labs - EMC/IO Group
EMC/EMI testing/certification and IOCAP characterization
Boise, Idaho