Hi John:

Thanks for your additional comments.

> Could it be that the scenarios which the standards
> committees envisage are not "the real deal"

In my opinion, this is the case.

> OR that the
> products which cause the fires just don't comply with the
> standards?

Of course, counterfeit and non-complying products are in the marketplace.  Some
of these do catch fire.

My interest is the cause of fires in products which comply with the standards.
The "In Compliance" reports do identify the counterfeit products, but these
seem to be in the minority.

Fires occur under fault conditions.  Not following instructions is a sort-of
fault condition, but rarely the cause of a fire.

Rich