Hi Brian,

You are correct that the NRTL Directive is 17025/17065 with "national
differences".  I am glad that was obvious in the first read as that was the
approach that we were trying to take.

I should have stated that the draft version of the NRTL directive is the
latest iteration of a document that was published almost 20 years ago
(loosely based off of Guide 25 & Guide 65).  The goal with this revision
was to "translate" existing OSHA policy into the common ISO 17025/17065
language that most of us speak as well as to add some clarity to some areas
that were previously ambiguous.  Our goal was not to make too many
significant changes.  More significant changes will be introduced in future
updates over the next several years

The Directive establishes the minimum performance standards that an NRTL
must meet in a given area, I would say that all of the current NRTLs exceed
these minimum standards in one or more areas.  Having worked for an NRTL,
and now working for the NRTL Program at OSHA I can say that the assessments
we conduct are probably one of the most technical assessments that a
laboratory will likely ever undergo, and I suspect that is the reason for
the high level of scrutiny that the NRTLs give to manufacturers and other
3rd party test labs.  I would say that we would lean more towards the
"authoritative source" rather that meeting only the basic ISO
requirements.  If we don't have a lot of clarity in certain areas, we are
likely working on the text for a future update  (Staff training and
qualification is one of those areas that we are looking hard at for future
updates).

"Recognition" is going to be roughly equivalent to "Accreditation"
throughout the document.   Looks like we have another definition to write.

Kevin

if you (or anyone) has any questions, feel free to contact me through my
"Official" channels:

Kevin Robinson
Director - Office of Technical Programs and Coordination Activities
NRTL Program
202-693-1911
robinson.ke...@dol.gov
or