I forgot to copy the list on my response to Bostjan, but essentially my
assumption was that Article 645 provides a significant exceptions to other
parts of the NEC such as:  prohibition on running cables through holes in
floors (see 400.8), and prohibition of running non-plenum rated cables in a
plenum (the area under the raised floor is considered a plenum) and so
somewhere along the line, someone felt that it was important to offset
those benefits by enforcing a connectorized mains connection to the branch
circuit (to more easily permit disconnection for Service?  To reduce the
instance of abandoned under-floor linecords by at least making them easy to
unplug and remove?  To reduce the temptation to crawl under the floor and
wire up stripped ends into a J box?  I don't know.)

-Ken A