From: Ken Javor [mailto:ken.ja...@emccompliance.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 7:19 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Practical ethics? -- text version

Again not claiming a solution, but I see what Cortland describes as a
fundamental feature of how businesses are run today in the USA (and likely
elsewhere, but no direct knowledge).

Businesses are founded by individuals, and those individuals, to the extent
that the business represents their livelihood as well as their passion, take
great pains to provide a quality product and/or service. It is in their best
interest  to do so, because of what they have invested in the company, and
the health of the company represents their long-term self interest.

But once that company takes off and is run not by the founder but by a board
of directors and a CEO who is an employee of the company, then long-term
considerations vanish and the actual job description of those in charge
forces short-term profit maximization with no importance assigned to the
long-term health of the organization.

Ken Javor
Phone: (256) 650-5261

> From: Cortland Richmond <k...@earthlink.net>
> Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 13:52:07 -0500
> To: <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
> Subject: Re: [PSES] Practical ethics? -- text version
>
> On 12/27/2016 10:39 AM, John Allen wrote:
>> in the wider context, this sort of thing can place a great strain on
>> the ethics of the ³guy in the middle² who understands what actually
>> needs to be done and ³speaks his mind²,
>
> Here we come to the crux of the matter. It is an organization's
> corporate culture that determines how ethical it will be, and it's all
> too common that organizations don't give a hoot about ethics.
>
> When convenience, economy, speed and the next promotion become more
> important than quality, shortcuts become more common than preparing for
> the work,

 and small lapses of ethical practice may be excused with "we

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html