Long post from this weekend's studies.... I have been thinking about power
distribution system tradeoffs for large systems where multiple AC/DC power
supplies are used.  Surveying 5 or 6 suppliers, picking an arbitrary 100W -
200W range for comparison, I see in-rush current specs with a very wide
range (14A to 80A) and a bit of variation in the specified voltages.  Some
like to specify at 200VAC, others at 230VAC -- all are auto-switching
universal input, so the datasheet numbers must be scaled to make an
equivalent comparison.

Targeting a 50-70% of full load rating for improved reliability seems
reasonable from reviewing qualification data, as well as past discussions
with two suppliers.  That will in some cases increase the number of power
supplies in the system based on mounting location, ease of manufacture and
cabling for a large physical structure.  Voltage drop on the DC output is
another parameter that affects power supply location.

I'd appreciate feedback about in-rush current limiting hardware at the
system level.  I've seen power supply specifications with block diagrams
that identify in-rush limiting circuitry which I expect are mostly either
NTC's or planar surge resistors. At the system level, it looks like three
main options:  a hybrid surge resistor/bypass relay module (European
suppliers(?)), a softstart controller (targets motor applications) and
switched outlet PDU's for data center applications.  I think the hybrid
module is best for a largely capacitive inputs and these modules'
datasheets give a capacitive load rating (1500uF up to 10000uF from what
I've seen so far).  Network access for the smart switched outlet PDU is
probably not an option for the system design.

There also look to be moderate cost differences by technology
type/application.

Any good reference material beyond supplier datasheets and application
notes?  I've done some searching this weekend and have seen one general
lighting reference with estimates for rectifier/PFC topologies of being
30-100x of operating current for in-rush, which doesn't mate well with how
the circuit breakers are spec'd (10x to 30x for the millisecond range
in-rush transient).  I've also seen a few data center-oriented papers and
quite a few pages/papers for inductive motor in-rush applications which is
not what I am considering.

Any suppliers of preference worth evaluating for in-rush limiting for a
12-16A operating current application with common AC/DC open/closed frame
supplies?

Is the 50-70% FL de-rating for improved reliability a common design
target?

Other design attributes that jump to the forefront for you?

Thanks for reading the whole way through and giving it some thought!

Cheers,
Adam