Hi all,

Has anyone found a good way to explain to non-compliance types the
difference between voltage rating and voltage specification?  After all
these years I still run into this discussion and have not found a good way
to clear the air.

A classic example is an open frame AC/DC power supply used to produce the
housekeeping voltages within a larger product.  In a recent example, the
PSU datasheet stated the voltage input range as 85 to 264 VAC.  This is
great and I really like that specification. However, I also had a design
engineer who took those numbers from the datasheet and transcribed them
directly to the rating label of his product.  As a result the agency
engineer wanted to apply the ±10% rule to the rating label voltage and the
rating tests were then 76.5 to 290.4 VAC (this was not an ITE product).
Note: a little quick math shows that the 264 VAC upper limit of the PSU is
actually a result of 240 V plus 10%.

All this seems obvious to me but apparently not to everyone ... and maybe
it's me who is just a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

I would be grateful to hear any experiences where explanations were
successful and lasting.

--

Douglas E Powell

doug...@gmail.com