From: Doug Powell [mailto:doug...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:43 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] Interior lighting for large control panels

All,

I just finished reviewing older editions of UL 508 (2005) and UL 508A (2003)
for any requirements specifically for interior lighting of large cabinets.
This would be for cabinets large enough to be a container with personnel doors.
 I do see requirements for how to implement "maintenance lighting" if provided
but not a requirement specifically stating maintenance lighting "shall be
provided". Also, if the latest editions of the UL standards now include
sections on risk assessment, I can see how a maintenance person who is
inadvertently entrapped (e.g. wind closed the door) would then could become
disoriented and egress lighting would be important to mitigate the hazard.

Any guidance on mandatory lighting requirements for maintenance is greatly
appreciated.

​Thanks,  Doug

--

Douglas E Powell