From: Joe Randolph [mailto:j...@randolph-telecom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 11:00 AM
To: Kannan Dhamodaran; EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [PSES] -60Vdc Telecom supply voltage

Hi Kannan:

When I first replied to your question I was away from my office and simply
named the primary country (Germany) that I clearly remembered as using 60 VDC.
Now that I'm back in the office, I pulled out my copy of the 1997 edition of
ETSI document ETS 300 001 for the EEC and EFTA member countries in Europe.
Chapter 1 of that document contains an attempt to describe the characteristics
of the PSTNs that were in use by the member countries at that time.  Following
is what that summary says for the 23 countries studied:

COUNTRIES THAT USED 60 VDC EXCLUSIVELY:

Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Luxembourg

COUNTRIES THAT USED 60 VDC IN SOME, BUT NOT ALL AREAS:

Norway, Poland, Sweden

I think there may be other countries outside of Europe that used 60 VDC at some
point, but it would take some more digging in my files to locate that info.

By the way, if your question is related to safety compliance, I don't think
there is any practical difference between 48 VDC and 60 VDC.  If your question
is related to functional compatibility, I don't think there is much difference
there either.  While some countries use 60 VDC instead of 48 VDC, the ones that
use 60 VDC typically limit their short-circuit current to levels that are no
higher than what some 48 VDC systems can deliver.  Most telephones and other
PSTN terminal devices are more sensitive to the available current than the
open-circuit voltage.

If you still have questions on this topic, I would be happy to try and answer
them.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.