From: Ken Javor [mailto:ken.ja...@emccompliance.com]
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2017 10:21 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] LISN Calibration Measurement Uncertainty

Off-topic response. Grinding an axe.  Clearly the network analyzer itself
serves as a limit on the achievable uncertainty, but it should be much better
than what is needed (+/-20% in the military world).  That aside, consider that
differential mode emissions tend to be low impedance relative to that of the
LISN, and therefore act as voltage sources, whose amplitude doesn't correspond
much to changes in LISN amplitude.  Common mode emissions tend to be current
sources and therefore common mode emission amplitudes track closely with
changes in LISN impedance.  But we don't measure these modes separately, but
rather as vector sums on the phase conductor, and vector differences on
neutral, so we have no idea what the effect of the LISN impedance on any
particular emission measured actually is.

Ken Javor
Phone: (256) 650-5261