Hi Dave,

It would be wrong of me to comment on this, as I would effectively be saying “I
think Michael was correct during the TCB Council training”

:)

But, I just want to confirm that nothing significant has changed since May on
this topic, and so my presentation still applies, in my opinion.

However, please note that my presentation was based on the Draft RED Guide,
issued on 22nd September 2016.

Now we have the first published version of the RED Guide, published on 19th May
2017.   (That was after my presentation).

The text to describe this situation was clear in the draft guide, but was
removed (not changed or contradicted, just removed) for the published version
of the RED Guide.   I believe the plan is to confirm the exact text to use, and
include the final conclusions into version 2 of the RED Guide.

Personally, I think it sounds to me like you are doing the correct thing.

If your system is comprised of two parts (host + modem) which can only operate
together and only operate as a radio system, then I think you would consider
them as one radio product.   But it sounds to me like your host could operate
alone as a non-radio product, and could even be shipped without the USB modem
as a non-radio product, if you so desired.   This sounds to me like the host is
not a radio/RED product, and it should be ok to ship it with (in the same box
as) a RED product, without making the host itself a radio/RED product.   In
such a case, perhaps the EMCD+LVD would apply to your host product.

There is guidance on the topic of “devices shipped together”; but that is
focusing on a mobile phone which is shipped with a mains charger.   (If they
are shipped together, they can be one radio product.   If the charger could be
shipped separately, it must be a non-radio product).   Maybe you want to
consider similar guidance?

I would be very interested to hear if anyone has any real evidence or
experience of market surveillance problems when shipping radio products with
non-radio products, in this way.

Thanks,

Michael.

Michael Derby

Senior Regulatory Engineer

Director

ACB Europe

Certification Resource for the Wireless Industry

Web:       www.acbcert.com <http://www.acbcert.com/>

e-mail:     <mailto:micha...@acbcert.com> micha...@acbcert.com

Mobile phone:   (+44) 7939 880829   (UK area code)

Corporate office phone:     USA:   (+1) 703 847 4700