Ralph, et al,

        My long term understanding is that the fault current is a curve.  High
values initially draining to lower values as the stored charge in the adjacent
wiring is pulled thru the short circuit and maintained by the supply impedance
at the longer term value.

        According to what UL has told us for years, the peak SS current from a
usual commercial or  residential 120V outlet on a 15A or 20A circuit is 7000 A
peak (probably for microseconds).

        I have seen SS tests done on equipment used on 600V industrial circuits
where a 10,000 A clearing capacity was tested.

        The failure in misapplication results in ionization of the gas in the
fuse along with the metallic residue from the interrupted fuse which continues
to conduct until some other component open (hopefully before the conflagration
is fully underway).

        Europeans claim a lower SS current from their systems (higher
impedance, it seems); so the fuses used there have lower clearing capacity.

:>)     br,      Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE
Principal Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs Consultant
PO Box 23427
Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

503/452-1201

p.perk...@ieee.org