From: John Woodgate [mailto:j...@woodjohn.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 2:05 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG<mailto:EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Subject: Re: [PSES] Was there ever a comparison between IEC 60950-1 and IEC
62368-1 (current edition preferable)? And any rationale for any of the changes

Re 'rationale', there is some information in Clause 0 of 62368-1 and in IEC
62368-2. But 60950-1 and 62368-1 are fundamentally different, because most of
the provisions of 60950-1 were derived from experience and ad-hoc reasoning
but those of 62368-1 are derived from structured reasoning ('hazard-based
standard').  Of course, experience and reasoning came to the same conclusion in
some cases.

The 3rd edition of 62368-1 has most of the bugs removed. The 4th edition will,
everyone hopes, not be very different from the 3rd.

John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only

J M Woodgate and Associates www.woodjohn.uk<http://www.woodjohn.uk>

Rayleigh, Essex UK