From: John Woodgate <j...@woodjohn.uk>
Date: Monday, 19 February 2018 at 4:22 PM
To: Scott Xe <scott...@gmail.com>, <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Subject: Re: [PSES] Insulation resistance test

The test is very old, and pre-dates the high-voltage test by very many years.
You mentioned 'Megger' in your other post, yes, that was how it was done. (A
Megger (brand name) was/is a type of magneto with an ohmmeter attached. The
stable output voltage required for the ohmmeter is achieved by a mechanical
governor, which limits the armature speed however fast you turn the handle.)

The test might not be totally irrelevant for modern electronic equipment, but
the requirements in most standards are certainly in need of revision. These
requirements are for a minimum insulation resistance of 1 or 2 megohms. A
modern piece of electronic equipment typically has a resistance of hundreds of
megohms (unless condensation occurs), so a measured value of  a few megohms
shows that something is in fact seriously wrong. I have raised this point in
TC108 before, but no-one was willing to take action. Tradition, you know.
John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
J M Woodgate and Associates www.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK