Hi Doug,

It was great to chat with you.
Here is a brief summary of the technical details we spoke (Doug, correct me if I cite something incorrectly).

Staying with the question how could someone show and demonstrate the amount of current the oscillator pumps into the circuit, there are a couple of simple possibilities: - measuring the current flowing in the wire between the oscillator output and the probes.  With this we need to be careful so that the measuring probe and instrument wont alter the setup's behavior too much. - measuring the change of DC supply current going into the oscillator between unloaded state (its output disconnected from the probes), versus when the oscillator output is connected to the probes.  Here we have a better chance to create a setup that only minimally alters the original scenario: we can use a miniature battery powered current meter.  We can also measure the DC supply current on the oscillator separately when we connect a tuned circuit to its output drawing approximately 40mA at specific harmonics.

When we do one or both of the above tests while we rearrange the probe cables to get maximum signal on the oscilloscope input, we can notice that the AC current supplied by the oscillator has two distinct states: there is a case when the oscillator supplies several times ten milliamperes, but there is also another state, when the oscillator hardly supplies any AC current.  This letter case can further be tested by inserting a very small capacitance between the oscillator output and the probe loops: we will still get about the same big signal on the oscilloscope input.  When I reproduced Doug's experiment at home, this latter case was accidentally the first I stumbled across.  This case corresponds to a parallel resonance instead of a series resonance, requiring only a very small amount of current feeding the circuit.  The Q of the tuned circuit will amplify the small injected current, so the current flowing in the ground lead wire of the oscilloscope probe is comparable to what we get in the series resonance case.  As we keep moving the probe cables, we can 'tune' the circuit through a set of series and parallel resonances.

Thanks again Doug for sharing your interesting experiments!

Regards,
Istvan Novak

Istvan Novak wrote:
Great! Lets talk over the phone, will call you after work.

At the end though I think SI-list readers may also be interested in ways
we come up with to demonstrate further aspects of your intriguing
experiment.

Regards,

Istvan Novak