Leo,

The requirement for NRTL approval comes from Subpart S of the OSH Act
(which begins at 29 CFR 1910.301)
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2017-title29-vol5/pdf/CFR-2017-title29-vol5-sec1910-301.pdf

Subpart S applies to all electrical equipment used in the workplace

1910.303 establishes the approval requirements: "  The conductors and
equipment required or permitted by this subpart shall be acceptable only if
approved, as defined in §1910.399"
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2017-title29-vol5/pdf/CFR-2017-title29-vol5-sec1910-303.pdf

1910.399 provides the definitions for "Acceptable" and "Approved"
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2017-title29-vol5/pdf/CFR-2017-title29-vol5-sec1910-399.pdf
 The definition for "Acceptable" is where the NRTL approval requirements
are mentioned

If you need any more information, feel free to contact me in the office

Kevin Robinson
Director - OTPCA - NRTL Program
robinsion.ke...@dol.gov
202-693-1911