Hi Ian,

Also my own words, (but shamefully stolen from our website):

OSHA safety standards are part of US law and specify requirements for
"approval" (i.e., testing and certification) of certain products by a
Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL). The original intent of these
requirements was the safety of workers, but market forces and fear of
litigation have moved safety certification into the mainstream for all
electrical devices used or sold in the US.
The OSHA Product Catalog can be found here:
http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/prodcatg.html
Beyond mandatory approval of products used in the US workplace, NRTL approval
is "market driven", meaning that any electrical device that will be sold or
distributed in the US may need an NRTL approval for open acceptance in the
marketplace. Without NRTL approval many retailers will not distribute a product.

Many Thanks!
Rob

Robert Campling
Manager (Global Market Access)