There is no such thing as 'RMS power'. The product of RMS voltage and current which are in phase is average power. In IEC standards, voltages and currents are RMS, and powers are average, unless otherwise stated.

The first dashed item is fairly well worded, The second and third are not well worded. If your conclusion is about the first dashed item, it would be more correct to say that the power /after /30 s (for an unspecified time period)  exceeds 15 W.

The second dashed item says 'has a power', which is vague. It probably means 'dissipates more than 100 W', but at least the observation time is specified.

The third dashed item is very different from the others. 'Available power' is the maximum power that can be extracted from a source, not a power dissipated in a load. So you have to look at the open-circuit voltage V and source resistance R (maybe impedance if it's not purely resistive) of whatever is feeding the potential PIS and calculate the available power V^2/(2*R).

But the committee might not have meant that.

John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
J M Woodgate and Associates www.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK

On 2018-11-15 17:45, James Pawson (U3C) wrote:

Hi folks,

I seem to be more take than give at the moment, my apologies.

IEC/EN 62368-1 classifies ignition hazards as a *Potential Ignition Source (PIS)*

/A //resistive PIS //is any part in a PS2 or PS3 circuit that:///

/– dissipates more than 15 W measured after 30 s of normal operation; OR//
//NOTE During the first 30 s there is no limit.//
//– under //single fault conditions//:/

/-- //has a power exceeding 100 W measured during the 30 s immediately after the// /introduction of the fault if electronic circuits, regulators or PTC devices are used, or/ //-- //has an available power exceeding 15 W measured 30 s after the introduction of the//
/fault.//

My questions:

 1. It would makes sense to me that these powers are defined as rms
    power. This would be the power that causes heating over time. For
    instance a GSM module that takes bursts of 10W for at a 1/8 duty
    cycle isn’t consuming 10W, rather 1.25W. The standard does not
    state explicitly if these are given as Wrms.

 2. If the above is true then I’m assuming that it would have to
    exceed 15Wrms continuously for 30 seconds to be classified as a
    Resistive PIS?

Can anyone help clarify this?

Many thanks!

James