From: James Pawson (U3C) [mailto:ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 6:03 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] Radiated RF Immunity vs. Radio Module

Hello, I have a puzzling query today.

I'm testing a product with an integrated radio module for 868MHz Zigbee.

The EUT has an internal antenna connected to the UFL connector of the module.
This means the wanted signal is provided by an antenna inside the test
environment. The standard specifies a +40dB "link budget".

My experience with testing radio modules has been that they are generally
fairly robust to radiated interference outside of their tuned frequency.
However this module is very much the opposite. When illuminated with 3V/m over
most of the 80MHz to 1GHz band communication stops and the RSSI drops.

If I bypass the EUT internal antenna and connect a coaxial cable directly to
the UFL connector of the EUT RF module from the test generator (attenuated for
+40dB link budget) then the product sails through testing at 10V/m!

My initial thought was that the input of the module did not have sufficient
filtering, resulting in AGC overload. However I've just de-soldered the can and
there's a SAW filter in line with the RF path (input > SPDT switch > SAW > LNA
> radio IC). So I'm not sure it's that any more.

I can't see this being an module enclosure / system immunity problem because it
passes the test at 10V/m when connected direct via coaxial cable (no antennae).

Has anyone come across this sort of performance before?

Avenues of investigation

  1.  Put an extra SAW filter in series with the antenna input before the RF
module
  2.  Inject an out of band RF signal into the module and see where it ends up
  3.  Broken module, swap for a new one
  4.  Other?

>From an approvals perspective, the module as supplied will meet the
>requirements of 301 489-1 because the manufacturer will have tested it with a
>coaxial input feed. However when tested with an antennae attached it doesn't
>work under these immunity conditions. It feels like the standard doesn't cover
>this scenario adequately.

Frustrating. I'm contacting the manufacturer in parallel.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
James

(also cross posted to a different forum)

<emc-p...@ieee.org<mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org>>

Instructions: http://www.ieee-pses.org/list.html (including how to
List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <sdoug...@ieee.org<mailto:sdoug...@ieee.org>>