From: Doug Nix [mailto:d...@ieee.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 11:36 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] A question about FDA language and interlocking devices

Colleagues,

I had a question come my way yesterday that I need a little help with. Here’s
the question:

I have a customer that produces X-ray equipment. The FDA requires that the door
that gives access to the X-ray source must have an interlock with a ‘knife-edge
and finger stock’ type connection.  Also the FDA mentions that interlocks
should be of conventional design. What is understood by “conventional design”?

My reading on this requirement is that any conventional electromechanical
interlocking device like this:
[Image result for keyed interlock switch images]
will meet the basic requirements as described by the FDA as “knife-edge and
fingerstock” connection, but I am concerned that this may not be at all what is
meant.

As always, any guidance you can offer will be welcomed and appreciated!

Best,

Doug Nix
d...@ieee.org<mailto:d...@ieee.org>
+1 (519) 729-5704

<emc-p...@ieee.org<mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org>>

Instructions: http://www.ieee-pses.org/list.html (including how to
List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <sdoug...@ieee.org<mailto:sdoug...@ieee.org>>
Mike Cantwell <mcantw...@ieee.org<mailto:mcantw...@ieee.org>>

For policy questions, send mail to:
Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org<mailto:j.bac...@ieee.org>>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com<mailto:dhe...@gmail.com>>

LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain confidential
information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you received this by
mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the error. Thank you.