As soon as I saw Derek's query, I immediately remembered reading the
description of a parallel plate design in volume 4 of Don White's six-volume
encyclopedia set (the grey ones).  He suggested using IRC 90 ohm per square
resistive cards as the load on a 90 ohm plate.

I looked that up, and while IRC is still around as a subsidiary of someone
else

https://www.ttelectronics.com/products/brands/irc/

I didn't see sheet resistors listed as a product line.

But you might be able to build your own, depending on the ohms/square you
need - post didn't say.

A very cheap approach is right here:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/drygraphite5200.php

Don't know if it will work, but at $4.90 for a ten ounce can, you can hardly
go wrong.

You could look at thin nichrome sheets:

http://www.goodfellow.com/catalogue/GFCat4J.php?ewd_token=iKECcA3mig8UWSR3vZ
1byT8BCGlfZB&n=rdShuSJA5wBBHryYqRL16YQvFa1D35

This stuff is 5 um thick and at the quoted resistivity of 108 micro-ohm-cm,
I calculate about 0.21 ohm per square.

Here's another site offering a range of materials:

https://www.tokkin.com/materials/high_parformance/resistance

I have heard of etching a PCB to make the copper layer very thin.  But that
sounds more complicated, and again, it's going to depend on the ohms per
square your application requires.

Ken Javor
Phone: (256) 650-5261