John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
J M Woodgate and Associates www.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK

On 2019-08-10 21:44, John Woodgate wrote:

I think that in many cases all of the bullet items apply to active members of a committee. The number of active members may be significantly fewer than the total membership. At the committee level, at least in the IEC and BSI committees that I have attended, is not based on majority voting but on consensus, 'absence of [reasonable] sustained objection'. Approval to publish is based on voting.

Active members understand the technical issues very well; many are acknowledged world authorities. Standards-writing principles and editorial rules are laid down in standards organization documents, such as ISO/IEC Directives Part 2 , CEN/CENELEC Internal Regulations Part 3 and, at the GB national level, BS 0 ('BS Zero').  But IEC and CENELEC do not insist on committees having 'in-house' editors, although IEC now officially allows it, while BSI seems to regard editing as a staff duty, so the editor isn't an expert on the technology. The main point is that editing is a skill that not everyone has, just like musicianship. So pick your editors carefully, otherwise disharmony may be inevitable. One document - one editor, too, because there aren't absolute 'right' answers in editing, only 'wrong 'ones, and if two or more people try to edit the same text you get disputes about equally acceptable wordings.

Best wishes