The 80/80 rule was/is applied for auditing manufacturing as, according to
management, 'good enough for government work.'  They figured the risk of
getting caught was sufficiently low enough to continue shipping.
Initial testing has no allowance for exceeding the requirements.
An experienced producer will know what variation his manufacturing can make,
and lean towards a 'margin' of passing that accounts for that tolerance.
The FCC is explicit somewhere in the rules tho shall not interfere, regardless
of compliance with the rules. (part 15 devices.)  If a license holder complains
about interference, one is shut down.
The EU seems a little more relaxed.  No room in the standards for exceeding the
requirements.  There is "shall" all through the documents.  And then the
uncertainty calculations are required.
But no explicit statements about interference to license holders.

The FCC does enforcement of complaints, but does not do surveillance, which is
left to the FCC's privatized arm of the TCB's.
Which is funny, since the one TCB audit I got called for came on a product that
I had not received the finalized reports for and had not yet gone into
production so the only unit available was the actual test unit, that they still
had in hand.   The audit request was withdrawn.

I have shown the management the list of penalties from the FCC and some of the
reported actions taken by the FCC.  And somewhere in the OJ, I seem to recall a
mention of actions that can be taken by the EU for violations, including banned
from the market.

    On Monday, November 18, 2019, 06:31:41 PM EST, John Woodgate