I agree that there are several opportunities to add some interlocks
(physical or electrical) that would power down the high voltage circuit
under certain conditions.  If that were all that is necessary to comply with
60335-1, it would probably be quite manageable.

The main problem I'm concerned about is the apparent requirement in a Class
2 appliance to provide double insulation between the high voltage circuit
and accessible parts.  In particular, the creepage and clearance distances
required for the double insulation would be a challenge to achieve without
major changes to the physical design.

Presumably, with a sufficient number of interlocks, it would be possible to
ensure that the high voltage circuit is disabled under certain
circumstances, and this might possibly help to avoid double insulation in
certain areas.

However, the fact remains that when this handheld product is actually in use
(no battery charger connected, battery compartment closed, and
user-replaceable module installed), there is a non-SELV voltage being
generated within the device, and 60335-1 seems determined to require a
double-insulation barrier around that circuit.

In other standards such as 60950-1 and 62368-1, circuits with non-SELV
voltage but limited current can be classified as a "limited-current circuit"
(60950-1) or "ES2 circuit" (62368-1).  Circuits that qualify have no
accessibility restrictions whatsoever.  In terms of accessibility, they are
treated like SELV.

For the product in question, this would be a much easier way to demonstrate
compliance.  I think that clause 8.1.4 in 60335-1 is intended to provide
this option, but the unusual wording of clause 3.3.12 appears to prevent
this option.

I agree that it can take a very long time to get an official interpretation
issued or, worse yet, get a standard changed.  Fortunately for me, the
product in question is not my product and I was not involved in designing
it.  I've simply been asked to evaluate the product for compliance with
60335-1.

When I made my initial post on this topic, I was just trying to find out if
clause 3.3.12 had been (or might soon be) revised to remove the apparent
contradiction in the 2009 edition.  From some preliminary feedback I have
received, it sounds like the answer is "no."

In the meantime, the responses I have received here have identified some
useful approaches for trying to demonstrate compliance as a Class 2
appliance per 60335-1, and I plan to think carefully about those approaches.
Right now, the main sticking point is the apparent requirement to provide
double insulation, with its attendant creepage and clearance distances.

Joe Randolph

Telecom Design Consultant

Randolph Telecom, Inc.

781-721-2848 (USA)