Hi Scott:

I have seen no safety standards or codes that specify which products must be
Class I and which products must be Class II, except in the USA washers and
dryers must be Class I.  As far as I know, the decision is that of the
manufacturer.  I have been associated with a manufacturer who has made the same
product both ways.  In my case, one of the factors in deciding Class I or Class
II was cost (e.g., a 3-wire cord was more expensive than a 2-wire cord).

I suspect a major factor is “momentum” of the manufacturer: we made it this way
last time, and we know how to do it this way.

A product with a grounding (3-wire) power cord is a Class I product regardless
whether it has no accessible conductive parts.  Unlike a Class II product, a
Class I product does not bear a marking attesting that it is Class I.

Note that a Class I construction necessarily includes Class II construction,
e.g., appliance inlet which is all-insulated.  We ignore the Class II
construction portions of a Class I product.

I checked our electric kettle (which has accessible metal) and electric
coffee-maker (which has the heater plate accessible metal).  Both are 2-wire.
Neither has the double-insulated symbol.  Both are UL-certified.

Best regards from beautiful snowy Bend, Oregon, USA,

Rich