Something is very odd. If the cable is rated for 300 V (DC), it shouldn't fail at 250 V AC (354 V peak).  Presumably those 'other cables' did pass the 250 V test. There seems to be some confusion, too, about the role of the connector shell. It is surely just an 'accessible conducting part', which would come alive if the cable insulation failed. The cable doesn't fail /because/ it's connected to the shell; it would fail if the shield were accessible in any way.

On 2020-01-21 15:46, Steve Brody wrote:
Experts,

I have always been one to tell others that to understand a requirement you need to read the standard, directive, etc.  However in this case I am trying not to spend $505 for a PDF copy of UL 2238 which I may never use again.

I have a client whose customer is requiring a specific cable be UL approved.  The cable is used for control, not power, and is part of a larger system.  The requirement was for a UL 2238 approval, but no one has been able to tell me why not use an a less severe standard.

The cable is similar to others that my client has submitted through their UL approved harness house but this one is failing dielectric testing from the conductors to the foil shield which is connected to the connector shell.  Conductor to conductor testing was OK. Previous submitted and approved cables also have the foil shield connected to the connector shell, which would be normal for EMC.

The cable itself is from a well known manufacturer and carries approvals and is rated at >300V, and may even be 600V, but I don't have the cable spec at this time.  The connector(s) also carry UL.

Here is the quote from UL via my client:
The shield is foil. *UL has* *failed the cable because we are connecting the shield to the connector shell* *. *The [UL] engineer actually said that he knew it would fail the 250VAC test because of this fact, and he only ran the test to get a data point. He said that this violates a requirement of UL 2238, and if we cannot change the design then we will need to find a different standard to apply for. We’re all confused because we’ve submitted other cables for this project that passed UL 2238 with the shield connected to the connector shell.

Thoughts, comments, but no sticks or stones, please.

Thanks all,

Steve Brody
sgbr...@comcast.net <mailto:sgbr...@comcast.net>
C - 603 617 9116