Well, you may be in the uncommon position of procuring a brand new IFF
transponder for your aircraft, and if that is the case, then as an integrator
you can levy any spec you choose, but in general, the military buys certain
models built by outfits such as Rockwell Collins (or whatever they are called
today) and the avionics manufacturer is building to a single spec – MIL-STD-461
– regardless of what the end item platform might someday be. Few receivers are
built for one particular platform, if only because the point of a radio is to
establish a communication link,  so that it ends up on multiple platforms.

In your example of IFF, with transmit and receiver frequencies close together
and no inherent filtering from the antenna itself, a certain amount of
isolation has to be built into the radio itself. Much like a radar has to be
able to reject any close-in reflection or crosstalk of the transmit signal into
the receive path, in order to be able to receive the desired reflection from
far away.

But in term of setting a limit, the required CS103/104/105 reject ratio in the
radio’s tunable range but outside the receiver bandwidth is 80 dB above MDS.
That is pretty good performance.  And out-of-band to the radio, with a limit at
0 dBm, you are looking at on-the-order-of 100 dB of rejection (MDS ~ -100 dBm).
It seems to me that it is reasonable to place any required isolation beyond
that on the integrator, either through the out-of-band rejection of the antenna
(if the threat is far enough away from the antenna’s design  frequency range),
and/or if a broadcast pattern comm type antenna, placement so as to achieve
antenna-to-antenna shading, or the use of antennas at higher frequencies with
some sort of waveguide, even if it is just waveguide-to-coax conversion,
providing for rejection of lower frequencies through waveguide-beyond-cutoff
performance, or through operational controls or blanking.  The integrator has
various tools at his disposal, and the placing of 80 – 100 dB of isolation on
the receiver itself seems quite sufficient a burden.

Also if the EME is from a carrier deck, consider that at the same time the EME
is that intense, the signal to be received from the ship is much higher than
MDS, so that just plain old-fashioned frequency-independent attenuation can and
will be employed by an AGC circuit to keep the intended signal in the linear
range of the IF strip, and maybe even out front of the mixer depending upon how
sophisticated the design.

If someone is trying to impose an untailored CS103/104/105 on a radio in terms
of the desired signal being MDS, while tailoring the reject band limit based on
a stringent -464 EME, I’d say they need to sharpen their pencils some.

--

Ken Javor

(256) 650-5261