Hello.

For the following, I have (nearly) concluded that the
Machinery Directive applies, but I have some lingering
uncertainty. I'm looking for reasonable arguments to
say that it does or doesn't apply before I dive
headlong into the tasks related to supporting a
declaration against the Machinery Directive.

Consider a product that is completely sealed but
contains a rotating mass. The mass rotates as a primary
part of the product's function. In the strictest sense,
it is (or contains) a machine. However, any number of
products contain rotating masses (e.g., fans) that are
not generally subject to the Machinery Directive and
which have other standards under the Low Voltage
Directive that address the relevant safety concerns.

Among the many use cases for the product are autonomous
or robotic mail delivery and security systems, which
will move along the ground or along floor surfaces.
These pieces of motive host equipment would require
application of the Machinery Directive. For these and
other use cases,the product could serve as a safety
component, though perhaps not in any traditional sense,
but within the context of Annex V of the Machinery
Directive.

There are no specific standards in the OJ list of
harmonized standards that apply directly to the
product's primary applications function, so I assume EN
60204-1 will apply, with perhaps some peripheral
standards that are in the OJ list.

FWIW, I've performed a review of the mechanical hazards
using IEC 62368-1 and found that the product falls
squarely into MS1.

What ever arguments you can make either in favor of
applying the Machinery directive or against it are
welcomed and encouraged. I look forward to hearing from
you.

Peter