Here is a summary of capacitor discharge situations with late adds:

Operator conditions:  Vacuum tube radio/tv with isolated metal trim.  (John
Woodgate)

Service conditions:  Vacuum tube radar servo controller.  (Doug Powell)

Service conditions:  UPS capacitor discharge (automatic or time delay) before
servicing.  (Bansi Patel)

Operator conditions:  Defibrillator automatic discharge. (Dave Osborn)

Operator conditions:  CRT capacitance.  (Mike Sherman) (Dan Roman)

Service conditions:  Power factor correction capacitor for motor drives  (Ted
Eckert) (Julia Curson) (Mike Sherman)

Service conditions:  Small ion implanters.  (Lauren Crane)

Service conditions:  Microwave oven capacitors with integrated bleeders.  (Adam
Dixon)

Service conditions:  Electrostatic speaker amplifiers.  (Adam Dixon)

Service conditions:  Electric welding systems.  (Adam Dixon)

Service conditions:  Industrial laser systems.  (Inadvertently omitted from
first list).)  (Pete Perkins)

Adam (in Atlanta) Dixon sent a URL of a capacitor discharge event that is
worthwhile reading.  Note the picture of the capacitor!

https://ehs.berkeley.edu/lessons-learned/lesson-learned-injury-caused-high-voltage-capacitor-discharge

We still need to identify in our safety standards when a charged capacitance
requires a safeguard.  For operator conditions, we need automatic discharge as
is done for defibrillators.  For service conditions, we need either an
automatic discharge safeguard or an instructional safeguard.  (We can ignore
vacuum tube devices and crt devices as it is doubtful any new products will use
such devices!)

Thanks for your responses.

Stay safe!

Rich