James,

You don’t have to denigrate yourself as not being a guru.  You have plenty of
experience in this as shown by your comments.  Sharing this is quite valuable
to the others on this thread.

               All of us started out as ignorant of any of these requirements
because they are not taught in formal college level courses; a few exceptions
seem to exist.

               Some folks might get specialized training – if they work for a
gov’t agency or a safety test organization; else it’s all OJT.

               I don’t see that changing any time soon; the academic folks have
their interests which continue to push mathematical analysis techniques (and
that will continue).  More and more technical folks will get higher degrees
[you know what BS is, MS is More of the Same and PhD is Piled higher and Deeper
:>) ], hardly any of which is of interest at our daily working level.
Manufacturers will continue to steal trained folks from test labs; probably not
too bad a deal especially if the folks move back and forth to spread what
they’ve learned going each way.

               Finally, the standards keep getting more complex (PhD effect)
and interrelated as issues are delved into more deeply; plus manufacturers are
getting better trained to design near the limit without as much margin so the
compliance is close to falling off of the edge of the world at any moment.

               So keep at what you are doing as long as you enjoy it; then get
out gracefully – keeping your reputation intact to maintain a legacy as you go.

               Enough of Phil 101 today.

:>)     br,      Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE

Principal Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs Consultant

PO Box 1067

Albany, ORe  97321-0413

503/452-1201

IEEE Life Fellow