Hello safety experts,

A question regarding overvoltage categories and "reliable" earthing and some
differences between standards. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Background:

When determining the required withstand voltage for insulation, EN 62368-1
states that:

5.4.2.3.3 Determining required withstand voltage

.

If a circuit isolated from the mains is connected to a main protective
earthing terminal

that complies with 5.6.7, the required withstand voltage may be one
overvoltage

category lower in Table 13  (JP: Table 13 in this case replicates table F.1
from IEC 60664-1 of OVC vs impulse voltage)

5.6.7 Reliable earthing

.

For permanently connected equipment earthing is considered to be reliable

.

A permanently connected piece of equipment with isolated (secondary) circuit
connected to PE is classed as being one OVC lower than it's installation eg.
OVC III becomes OVC II with all of the reductions in
creepage/clearance/insulation that this results in.

Problem:

*       I cannot find an equivalent clause regarding overvoltage categories
and reliable earthing in EN 61010-1.
*       Also, I cannot see anything in EN 62368-2 that explains this
decision.
*       It looks like EN 62368-1 is a bit of an outlier in this respect.

Questions:

*       Have I missed the clause in EN 61010-1 that covers this? (I've
looked carefully through Clause 6 and Annex K)
*       Do any other safety standards share this reduction in OVC for PE
connected circuits?
*       Have I understood the clauses in EN 62368-1 properly?
*       I've seen (and subsequently unable to find again) a reference that
resistance to transient overvoltages is partly a reliability of equipment
issue. Are the writers of EN 62368-1 less concerned about reliability?  ;-)

As always, thanks in advance

James

James Pawson

The EMC Problem Solver

Unit 3 Compliance Ltd

EMC : Environmental : Safety : CE + UKCA : Consultancy

 <http://www.unit3compliance.co.uk/> www.unit3compliance.co.uk  |
+44(0)1274 911747  |  +44(0)7811 139957

2 Wellington Business Park, New Lane, Bradford, BD4 8AL

Registered in England and Wales # 10574298

https://www.avg.com