Test labs are required to follow IEC rules about temperature measurements.
While I.R> guns and FLIR cameras can be used for diagnostic purposes, I
believe they all still want thermocouples for final measurement.  In
addition, there are rules about the maximum wire gauge and preferences on
using special limits of error wire.

See IECEE OD-2012 v1.2 for Laboratory procedure for preparation,
attachment, extension and use of thermocouples.  Formerly OP-108.

https://www.iecee.org/documents/refdocs/

-Doug

Douglas E Powell
Laporte, Colorado USA