From: James Pawson (U3C) <ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk>
Sent: 18 October 2021 09:30
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Safety Compliance Testing: It's A Business, So Shop Around

Hello John,

These are excellent points. I was going to say that I’ve not come across this
attitude with many of my customers but then the question popped into my head of
“how do I know that for sure?”

What questions would you typically ask of your clients to understand their
attitude to their business and their risk tolerance?

I’ll often ask customers about what their previous experience with compliance
is, how they have handled it for other products, and to see an example
Technical File equivalent for a previous product. This helps me understand what
their internal processes are.

Some instructive chats are often had with the equivalent of the Service Manager
to get an understanding of any field related compliance problems that sometimes
don’t make it back to the design team.

I’ve tended to find (with occasional exceptions) that appetite for compliance
risk is inversely proportional to size of company, which makes sense when you
consider the mindset of someone starting a business vs an established company
with more to lose.

(Sidebar: There was a recent
<https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safety-regulations-compliance-study>
 study that compared the effect of penalty rates, accessibility of info on the
penalty scheme, and income of business with compliance rates in a simulated
setting. Given the simulated setting I’m not sure what useful information you
can draw from this. For example, I don’t play board games like I play business.
My wife and friends would all have better EMC consultancies than me if this
were the case!)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

All the best

James

James Pawson

The EMC Problem Solver

Unit 3 Compliance Ltd

EMC : Environmental : Safety : CE + UKCA : Consultancy

 <http://www.unit3compliance.co.uk/> www.unit3compliance.co.uk  |
<mailto:ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk> ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk

+44(0)1274 911747  |  +44(0)7811 139957

2 Wellington Business Park, New Lane, Bradford, BD4 8AL

Registered in England and Wales # 10574298