All,

I'm interested in learning the history behind what I call old school
spacings found in UL standards. In recent years there has been considerable
progress toward harmonizing UL spacings to international standards, derived
from IEC 60664-x. However, still today I encounter many UL standards with
the old spacings table (interpolation is not allowed).

Circuit Ratings
*Minimum Spacings*

*Through air*Between parts of opposite polarity,
live and non-current carrying parts
and live and ground connections
mm (in) * Over surface*
Between parts of opposite polarity,
live and non-current carrying parts
and live and ground connections
mm (in)
30 - 50 1.6 (1/16) 1.6 (1/16)
51 - 150 3.2 (1/8) 6.4 (1/4)
151 - 300 6.4 (1/4) 9.5 (3/8)
301 - 660 9.5 (3/8) 12.7 (1/2)
661 - 1000 19.1 (3/4) 19.1 (3/4)

I've had more than a few "discussions" with design engineers about tables
like this since the numbers seem very arbitrary, and I have to agree. The
most frequent trouble I have is trying to explain why an increase of just 1
volt over 300V results in such a large jump in the over surface
requirements. Usually I am forced to end with, "it is what it is, and we
have to follow the rules".

Any thoughts?

-Doug

Douglas E Powell