Mark,

I did something along those lines back in 2012 when a question came up
about the need for a finger guard on a low power fan. In order to better
understand the possibility of injury, I estimated the surface contact area
of the blade edge against a finger, rotational speed and mass of the fan
impeller in terms of mechanical energy. I think I converted to J/mm^2. In
any case, the result was quite low and in my opinion "safe". To prove it
out, I was willing to first try jamming  a #2 pencil, and then my finger
into the fan while running at full speed. So far, 10 years later, I still
have my fully intact finger, but sadly the pencil was eventually used or
otherwise lost.

-Doug

Douglas E Powell
Laporte, Colorado USA