There is also a question in my mind as to whether there can be partial cancellation of touch current. I suspect this is highly improbable in the US, due to the distribution system ensuring that the neutral has a very low voltage difference from the PEC. But in Europe, it's not inconceivable that the neutral could be, say, 4.6 V relative to PEC and the neutral-to-PEC capacitance 25 times that of L to PEC, so that half the L-to-PEC leakage current is cancelled by the N to PEC current.

Best wishes John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
www.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK
It all depends

On 2022-08-25 19:12, Richard Nute wrote:

I wish to make two points:

 1. Kirchoff’s Current Law states that the sum of currents entering a
    node equals the sum of currents leaving the node.  The Law applies
    to summation of leakage (touch) currents (e.g., through a
    2,000-ohm resistor) and to summation of protective conductor
    currents (through 0 ohms).  In a power strip protective grounding
    conductor, I’m assuming 0 ohms to ground, so the current is
    slightly higher (1 to 10 % depending on the leakage current limit
    and the voltage you are using) in the protective grounding
    conductor than leakage (touch) current.

See IEC 60990 for touch (leakage) current and protective conductor current measurement procedures.

 2. A GFCI measures the current difference between line and neutral
    conductors, not current in the protective conductor.  It nominally
    operates at 5 mA.  We assume (with a reasonable degree of
    accuracy) that leakage (touch) current is 100% of the differential
    current measured by the GFCI.  It is possible, although unlikely,
    for some of the GFCI differential current to find another return
    path than the protective grounding conductor.

Best regards,

Rich