Hi Matthew:

In answer to your question how to distinguish between functional earth
circuits and protective earth circuits:

Protective earth (PE) circuit carries fault current to earth.  Presumably,
the fault current is from a mains-to-earth fault.

Functional earth (FE) circuit does not carry mains fault current to earth.
I think of functional earth circuits as carrying functional signal returns
and functional faults, although they may also be for establishing an
equipotential environment.

PE and FE are usually connected together.  In this case, the sites of the
possible mains-to-earth faults must be identified and the resulting current
path must be identified to determine which conductors are PE and which are
FE.

Hope these comments help.

Best regards,

Rich