I had a similar customer complaint when working for HP in the late 1980’s – on
that occasion it was from the pins of the IEC 620 (now 60620) power connector
of a rather large & heavy’ish (c 18kg!) unit - which the user then dropped on
his foot!

I did some investigation and discussed the matter with my colleagues at the
supplying division, and concluded that the product did actually meet the
current requirements of the relevant product standard  (IEC 380) – can’t
remember just what happened after that, apart from making a strong
recommendation to that division and HP Coporate  to redesign  products to
reduce/eliminate  the shock issue because it was definitely not
“customer-friendly”, even if relevant product standards were met!

John E Allen

W. London, UK