I have a client who has a secondary pwb that has traces and vias that may have
100 vdc on them adjacent to ground.

Per 61010-1 there is a requirement for spacing and/or dielectric test, both
depending on what the mains voltage is.

The question is why is the mains voltage a consideration or concern if the
100vdc secondary voltage is several layers of impedance and circuitry from the
mains?

Is it a concern that a surge on the mains would trickle down to the secondary
circuit, or is there another reason/rationale?

I suggested that a dielectric test per Table 6 [in A1] would suffice and put
the issue to rest for this product, but the question from the designers remains
as to why is it a concern in the standard of what the mains voltage is.

Is there anything in the standard, that I haven't found, that does not require
Table 6 to be followed if there is no way for a mains surge to impact the
secondary voltage?

I look to the experts for an explanation.

Thanks,

Steve Brody
sgbr...@comcast.net mailto:sgbr...@comcast.net
C - 603 617 9116