From: Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2023 10:15 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] 6dB pad

Receiver vswr is specified with 10 dB attenuation because the mixer itself is
not 50 Ω.

Antenna vswr is usually best in the middle of the usable frequency range.
Worst case at the low end for EMI antennas used down to 30 MHz, because except
for half-wave dipoles, they are electrically short at and near 30 MHz. Antenna
vswr is typically stated at the antenna port, without any added attenuation.

Putting attenuation at the EMI receiver input takes care of mixer mismatch, and
padding the antenna takes care at the opposite end. You need a pad at both ends
to completely control vswr-related uncertainty.

Unfortunately, you often cannot stand the desensitization of all the extra
attenuation.

--

Ken Javor

(256) 650-5261