In my career, I investigated (in the USA) a large number of field failures
(mostly fires) of safety-certified products.  The claims were against us as the
manufacturer, not the certifier.  The claimant or his insurance would hire an
investigator to identify the cause of the fire, where one of the causes could
be our product.  In no incident was the certifier or regulatory authority
invited to participate in the investigation.  (Invitations were from the loss
side, and were intended to determine who would pay for the loss.)  I don’t
recall any incident where our product was proven to be the cause of the fire.
No incident was caused by ineffective or insufficient safety requirements for
our products.

Our enclosures were usually HB-rated material.  If ignited, the enclosure would
burn vigorously and thoroughly, tending to mask its ignition source.  Hence, we
were included as a possible source of the fire.

We (as members of this community) do pretty good at preparing product safety
requirements and inserting them into standards followed by testing and
certification.  Governments do (or can do) pretty good at requiring products to
be certified as a condition of being in the marketplace.

BBC and other news sources (as well as individuals and organizations) can bring
such product safety certification deficiencies to the attention of governments,
who must then address requirements for certification.

Forgery is a separate one-on-one issue, and cannot be addressed by traditional
product safety work.

Best regards,

Rich (in Oregon, USA, where certification of electrical products is required by
Oregon state law)

“Certified electrical product” means an electrical product that is certified
under ORS 479.760 and that is not decertified.