Microvolts/m requires 20*log( ), like anything based on voltage or current. Your example of a transmitter is based on power.

On 2024-01-23 16:24, Larry K. Stillings wrote:

Hello All,

Maybe this is not the correct forum and I should put in an inquiry into the ANSI C63.10 committee directly, however before I did that I wanted to get some help here.

In the 2020 edition of the ANSI 63.10 standard they have added a calculation example page for pulsed emissions in Clause 7.6.3.

In a nutshell the example shows a duty cycle of ~36% (25 mS on time / 70 mS off time). The readings are taken in dBuV/m peak values and then a duty cycle correction of 20 * log (on time / total time) is applied or -8.9 dB to determine the average value of the emission.

Here is where it falls apart for me. If you are taking measurements in dBuV/m wouldn’t the duty cycle correction factor be determined with 10 * log (on time / total time). Let’s take an example of a transmitter being on 10 % of the time, isn’t that a 10 dB reduction? If the device is on 1% of the time isn’t that a 20 dB reduction?

Or for some reason because it is a pulsed emission you are allowed to use 20 * log and have a 20 dB reduction for a 10% duty cycle or less because anything greater than 20 dB is the maximum allowable correction / reduction for a pulsed emission?

Larry K. Stillings
Compliance Worldwide, Inc.
*/Test Locally, Sell Globally and Launch Your Products Around the World!/* */FCC - Wireless - Telecom - CE Marking - International Approvals - Product Safety/*
357 Main Street
Sandown, NH 03873
(603) 887 3903 Fax 887-6445
complianceworldwide.com <https://complianceworldwide.com>
<https://complianceworldwide.com>

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at:
https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/

Website: https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/