Hi, Doug. That's very interesting. I wonder if there would be a resonance effect if the gap in the shield were adjacent to the connector instead of being in the centre of the opposite side.

On 2024-02-06 00:22, doug emcesd.com wrote:

Hi All,

The following three articles and the referenced paper from my website show that, contrary to popular belief, shielded magnetic field probes do not work in the near field. The E-field shielding in magnetic field probes only work in the far field or for fields that are symmetrical about the center line of the probe. Take a look at the articles:

  * June 2008, The Square Shielded Loop - Part 2, Parasitic Coupling
    <https://emcesd.com/tt2008/tt060208.htm>
    (Electric Field Shielding of Magnetic Loops is Not Always Effective!)
  * July 2008, The Square Shielded Loop - Part 3, Parasitic Coupling
    Between Unshielded Wire Loops <https://emcesd.com/tt2008/tt070508.htm>
  * August 2008, The Square Shielded Loop - Part 4, Coupling to a PCB
    <https://emcesd.com/tt2008/tt080108.htm>
    (From Shielded and Unshielded Magnetic Loops)
  * Signal and Noise Measurement Techniques Using Magnetic Field
    Probes <https://emcesd.com/pdf/emc99-w.pdf> *(~600K)*
      o (1999 IEEE EMC Symposium paper)

Doug

Mike Sherman at: msherma...@comcast.net