Hi Marc

I was working long time on an six axis gantry laser system with about
2.7 to 1.8 meters travelling range.
As I understood from the machine builder, they used also two
"independent" servos fore both gantry sides, one was the master
servo, and the other was tracking to the master. Both axis had linear
encoders, home and end switches.
For reference, the moved parallel to the home position and the linear
encoder was used to adjust the home position final, because the have
also some repetitive pattern (Ca all 10 mm) to get home position to
about 1/1000 mm precise. If the home position was not found for both
axis in some window, an emergency shutdown occurred.
If you had bad luck, You had to loosening both gantry sides, and pre-
adjust the gantry manually (even the technician moved once the servos
controlled in opposite direction to get the machine working again
after an bad crash.)

I can not tell wich is the best solution for EMC2, but maybe you get
some hints from my descriptions.

Hansjakob