Chris,

I was trying something that I found in the wiki about dpkg-
scanpackages but I was missing something.  Then I tried build from
source but I was missing a bunch of packages (because I tried
deleting emc2 to get around the "conflicts with" error message.

I tried dpkg -x and in the process trashed linux, so right now I am
in the process of a total reinstall.

Is dpkg -i what I should use?

Thanks,
Alan