Hi.

I'm implementing my machine control on a ALIX.1b board from
pcengines.ch[0]. This board uses an AMD Geode LX and provides both a
standard parallel port and GPIO pins (exported from the Winbond W83627hf
Super I/O Controller). The driver for this chip in
drivers/hwmon/w83627hf.c provides access to these GPIO pins.

Any chance one could turn this into a driver which EMC² can support?

The 256MB version of that board is currently available at around 100EUR,
so this is a relatively cheap all-in-one PC (only needing a really
small, passively cooled case and an external 12V supply, using only
about 5 Watts), and with GPIO supported, parallel port+GPIO could drive
even the more complex machines. The board exports a total of 21 GPIO
pins (GPIO1 bit 0-7, GPIO2 bit 0-6, GPIO3 bit 0-5) from the Winbond
chip. So this basically means a second (though more flexible) parallel
port on board.

Any idea how difficult it would be to make this happen? I have
absolutely no (oh well, ok, about 2 hours hacking on some easy watchdog
driver which had some reversed logic in it) experience hacking the
kernel, let alone hacking on RTAI suitable drivers.

Or is it already possible? if so: How?

[0] http://pcengines.ch/alix1b.htm

Regards,
Sven