> I wonder if it isn't time to rethink the legal entity.

It might work as a non-profit, something like a trade association. This
would eliminate many of the legal risks, because the legal entity would not
be directly producing anything but would rather be promoting the use of an
open-source software. A lawyer would have to advise on the specific things
that could and could not be done by this organization, but it would allow
for fund raising to continue to develop and promote EMC.

> Second thought is connected to the idea of web mediated manufacturing.

I'm in. Many others here probably have better CNC tooling that I do, but I
have a batch reflow over for surface mount that is underutilzed. There's
also a bunch of scrap/obsolete PCBs and some parts that are free or low cost
to a good home.

I've also got pile of idled projects that would work with this. If there are
people out there with excess capacity, especially in sheet metal, there are
some niche market opportunites out there.

Thanks,
Javid