Ryan Hulsker wrote:
> Some of the recent discussion on "wish lists" and silent users etc. has
> prompted me to chime in here.  I have been a lurker on this list for a
> long time, have played with EMC several times, and have dreamt of
> building a CNC machine (mill, drill, filament winder, or foam cutter,
> depending on which project I am consumed with at the time) for a long
> time.
>
> With the help of some like minded friends I have finally started
> building building a CNC Foam cutting machine (hot wire), and am
> interested in running it with EMC.  It is almost done, and I have been
> using EMC to tune the axises etc.  I have seen comments on these
> machines in the past on this list and the consensus seemed to be that
> EMC was not able to work with them.  I am wondering if this has changed
> with EMC2/Axis.  From browsing the .ini file, it looks like there are
> provisions for axis a,b,c, (I think, working from memory here) which are
> described in the comments as running parallel to x,y,z, is that what
> these are for?

Actually u, v, and w are the axes that are parallel to x, y, and z.
They were recently added to EMC2 specifically for hot-wire foam cutters
and wire EDM machines.  They will be available in the version 2.2
release, or if you need them sooner you can get the current CVS version.

> The other thing I am interested in building that I have not seen alot of
> discussion on is a filament winding machine.  Again, I have looked at
> using EMC for this in the past, and came to the conclusion that it was
> not possible.  But with the addition of the lathe/threading code, it
> seems that a filament winder should certainly be possible.  I think the
> hardest part of this would be generating g-code for proper placement of
> the filaments/tows, but EMC2 should be capable of laying them down where
> you want while being indexed to the mandrel rotation once you have the
> g-code.  Does anyone know of a g-code generator that would generate code
> for a filament winder that is free/open-source?
>
> Ryan Hulsker

Can you explain a little more about what is involved with filament winding?

G33 threading passes are one way to sync "tool" motion with the spindle,
but maybe not what you want, since each G33 pass waits for an index
pulse - in a winding application you will still be winding fiber during
that wait.

Also coming in version 2.2 is feed-per-revolution mode, which might be
an alternative to G33.  It doesn't wait at the start of each pass, which
is good.  However, it is synced to spindle speed, not spindle position,
so it might get slightly out of position at the end of a long pass.

Another off-the-wall possibility would be to treat the rotating part as
a rotary axis instead of a spindle.  Then you could write g-code using X
and A coordinates.  However, if you are going to make thousands of
revolutions on one part, your A axis will have a very long travel range.
Not sure what the implications of that might be.

Regards,

John Kasunich