Hi Gene,

Paraffin  oil aka lamp oil is pretty close to EDM dielectric.  Using
70 -90 V for your DC supply and something on the order of 10 uf
with a resistor in the 20-50 ohm range should get you an RC circuit
that will be close. A bit if component substitution will get you to
an acceptable combination.  The electrode really doesn't have to
rotate, just pick one a bit larger
than the core of your tap; erode out the center and tip the outside
pieces in. It works like a charm.
The higher voltage will make the gap adjustment much less critical.

HTH

Dave